Statistical Cell (SC)
Statistical Cell of MoEFCC renders advice to all Divisions of the ministry on official statistical matters and providing interpretations of statistical data and implementation of statistical components of various Conventions and Agreements. It also support Development and management of an efficient centralised statistical database on environment and forestry sectors with the assistance of various Divisions of the Ministry and Environment Centres, with a view to meeting the requirements of various Divisions and other overall requirements.
Statistical Cell of the Ministry is entrusted with the following tasks:
- To liaise with all divisions of MoEF&CC and, where necessary, its subordinate offices and autonomous institution to strengthen the process of collection, validation processing and interpretation of statistical data.
- Coordinating preparation of State of Environment Report at National/State/UTs and District/Thematic Level
- To provide technical support to National Environment Survey by the Ministry.
- . Statistical Cell supports MoSPI for publication of ‘EnviStats’- a publication by Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MoSPI), based on FDES Framework. Statistical Cell provides inputs on behalf of the Ministry for the publication.
- To coordinate and represent the Ministry in UNSD/UNEP’s consultations on Global Environment Outlook, System of Environmental Economic Accounting (SEEA), Ecosystem Accounting, FDES, SDG Global indicator development and data flow and other environment statistics related matters and surveys.
Implementation of (Sustainable Development Goals) SDGs in the Ministry
SDG Coordination Unit under Statistical Cell coordinates the implementation of SDGs and related frameworks in the ministry. The following are the role of SDG Coordination unit.
- Overall coordination of SDG implementation in the Ministry.
- Coordination of metadata, baseline data and data flow with Divisions.
- Coordination with NITI Aayog, MoSPI and Custodian Agencies of SDG Global Indicators.
- Presenting Ministry’s consolidated proposals in High Level Committee of MoSPI for SDG indicator refinement.
- Capacity Development in respect of SDG implementation in the ministry
- Technical support for metadata and refinement of indicators.
- Publication of Ministry’s SDG reports.
- Parliament questions on SDGs