MoEF&CC is the nodal agency in the administrative structure of the Central Government for planning, promotion, coordination and overseeing the implementation of environmental and forestry programs and policies.
- Ministry’s main activities include conservation and survey of flora, fauna, forests and wildlife, prevention and control of pollution, afforestation and degeneration of degraded areas, protection of the environment, ensuring welfare of animals and research related to these activities.
- The main tool utilized to attain these goals and objective, inter alia, include survey, impact assessment, control of pollution, regeneration programs, support to organizations, research to solve the problems relating to environment and provide training to augment the requisite manpower, collection and dissemination of environmental information and creation of environmental awareness among all sections of the society in the country.
- MoEF&CC has undertaken several initiatives towards environment, forest and climate change of which the public is not aware of. Secondly, the mandate of MoEF&CC includes increasing awareness of the masses on the impact and changes in environment. This involves collection and dissemination of environmental information and creation of awareness at the national level. The Environment Education, Awareness and Training is a flagship scheme of the Ministry, inter-alia, for enhancing the understanding of people at all levels about the relationship between human beings and the environment. The scheme, inter-alia, has an objective to engage mass media and other concerned organisations for promoting awareness about environmental issues among people at all levels.
- All the Divisions of MoEF&CC are involved in one or more aspects of the mandate of the Ministry. The Divisions are required to give wide publicity to the policy being framed, the rules and regulation notified, guidelines issued and advisories sent so that various stake holders are aware of the changes and would be able to appreciate the need for these changes. The Divisions have to consistently make use of various methods of publicity whether it is advertisement, website, social media or anything else. DAVP, Prasar Bharati, Doordarshan, etc. are required to play proactive role. Community Radio Stations are also expected to play a major role in reaching out to local people. Similarly NGOs and self help groups’ support would be required for promoting environment friendly living, waste management, sustainable lifestyle, etc.
- Broad Objectives:
- Creation of Environment awareness at all levels.
- Information dissemination about all Environment and Forest programmes and Biodiversity conservation.
- People are made aware of their responsibilities towards environment.
- World Environment Day:
The World Environment Day (WED) is celebrated globally on 5th June every year. During 2021, the theme of World Environment Day is ‘Ecosystem Restoration’. The event was jointly organized by Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change and Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas.Due to pandemic the event was organized virtually. On the occasion, Hon’ble Prime Minister of India release the “Report of the Expert Committee on Road Map for ethanol blending in India 2020-2025” and also launched pilot project of E100 dispensing from three locations at Pune. Hon’ble Minister for Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Hon’ble Minister for Petroleum and Natural gas, Hon’ble Minister for Road Transport and Highways attended the event along with senior officers and Heads of the autonomous/attached/ subordinate offices of MoEFCC.
- Media Cell is in the process of Production and airing of 26 episodes Documentary Series titled “EARTH MATTERS” in collaboration with Doordarshan. Series will cover various aspects of Environment, Forests and Climate Change.
- Media Division publishes advertisements in the print media along with regular updation on Social Media Accounts of Ministry (facebook, twitter, Instagram, YouTube) also.
- Organise visits of students/professions of different educational institution to Indira ParyavaranBhawan to explain its green features.
- It has been decided to prepare a Quarterly eMagazine highlighting the achievements/important activities of Ministry.