Important Activities/Initiatives undertaken by the SU division:
1. 13th Cycle of India State of Forest Report-2013 was released by Hon’ble Minister of Environment, Forests and Climate Change on 8th July, 2014 at National Media Centre, New Delhi. The India State of Forest Report-2013 contains information not only on forest cover and forest inventory of the country and the change with respect to previous assessment, but also provides information on important characteristics of our forests, agroforestry and urban forestry making the report more enriched and useful.
The detailed Report is available on the website of Forest Survey of India, Dehradun (www.fsi.nic.in).
2. A Workshop was held on 21st August, 2014 in the Ministry under the chairmanship of DGF&SS to finalize the report of Pilot testing on Criteria and Indicator for Sustainable Management of Natural Forests in India. In the workshop, the Criteria and Indicator for natural forests mentioned in the report of Pilot Testing was accepted and recommended for its implementation in the country for sustainable management of natural forests after the approval of Hon’ble MEF&CC. With the approval of Hon’ble MEF&CC, report on “National set of Criteria and Indicators for Sustainable Management of Natural Forests in India” (A Manual to achieve the objectives of Sustainable Forest Management) was circulated to the Principal Chief Conservator of Forests of all States/UTs for information and necessary action, 30th March, 2015.
3. Proposal for revival/closure of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Forest and Plantation Development Corporation Limited, Port Blair is under examination. A Committee under the chairmanship of Director General of Forests and Special Secretary, has been constituted to study the viability of the use of biomass/firewood for generation of power in Andaman and Nicobar Islands and to suggest measures for revival of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands Forest and Plantation Development Corporation Limited, Port Blair, inter-alia through biomass/firewood extraction for generation of power. The first meeting of the Committee has been held on 24th November, 2014 at Indira Paryavaran Bhawan, New Delhi and the second meeting was held on 24th December, 2014 in Port Blair. In this meeting, it was suggested to delink the energy generation from biomass and revival of Corporation. However, the report from the Committee is awaited. The Ministry has received a closure plan from ANIFPDCL on 10.02.2015 and the same is under examination in the Ministry.
4. Draft Sandalwood Protection Bill has been forwarded to High Level Committee on review of Environmental laws for consideration of merging with Indian Forest Act, 1927.
5. The Ministry conveyed NoC to DGFT for grant of export license for export of 1517.0432 MT of Red sanders in log form by various firms.
6. The Ministry sanctioned the balance payment of Annual Contribution to International Tropical Timber Organization, Yokohama, Japan for the calendar year 2012 and full payment for the calendar year 2014.
7. The Ministry sanctioned the Annual Contribution to International Network of Bamboo and Rattan, Beijing, China for the calendar year 2014.
Important Activities/Initiatives undertaken during the year 2013-2014
- The Ministry organized Asia Regional Bamboo and Rattan Workshop in collaboration with International Network for Bamboo and Rattan (INBAR), Beijing China from 10th -13th December, 2013 in New Delhi. Hon’ble Minister of Environment and Forest inaugurated the above workshop.
- The Ministry conducted a National Workshop on 16th May, 2013 in New Delhi to finalize Draft National Working Plan Code.
- The Ministry circulated Draft Cabinet Note for revival plan for Andaman & Nicobar Islands Forest & Plantation Development Corporation Ltd through transfer of ownership from Ministry of Environment & Forests to Andaman & Nicobar Administration to concerned Ministries/Departments for their comments.
- The Ministry conveyed NoC to DGFT for grant of export license for export of 3000 MT of Red sanders in log form with certain conditions.
- The Ministry sanctioned the balance payment of Annual Contribution to International Tropical Timber Organization, Yokahama, Japan for the calendar year 2011, full payment for the calendar year 2013 and part payment for the calendar year 2012.
- The Ministry sanctioned the Annual Contribution to International Network of Bamboo and Rattan, Beijing, China for the calendar year 2013.
- The Ministry approved and circulated National Working Plan Code-2014 to all States/UTs Forest Department for its implementation in the country w.e.f. 1st April, 2014.
- A loan of Rs. 17.00 crores was sanctioned and released for payment of Salaries/ wages to Andaman and Nicobar Islands Forest and Plantation Development Corporation Limited, Port Blair.