Zoological Survey of India(ZSI)
Zoological Survey of India (ZSI)
The Zoological Survey of India (ZSI), a subordinate organization of the Ministry of Environment and Forests was established in 1916 as a national centre for faunistic survey and exploration of the resources leading to the advancement of knowledge on the exceptionally rich faunal diversity of the country. ZSI has its headquarters at Kolkata and 16 regional stations located in different geographic locations of the country. The following are the activities being carried out by the ZSI:
- Study of the fauna of states
- Fauna of conservation areas
- Fauna of important ecosystems
- Status survey of endangered species
- Fauna of India and
- Ecological Studies & Environmental impact assessments.
ZSI further provides:
- Identification & Advisory Services,
- Training & Extension Services in the field of animal taxonomy and faunistic surveys,
- Library facilities and
- Presentation & Publication of Research work in journals and books.
The detailed information about ZSI is available at http://www.zsi.gov.in/