E. K. Janaki Ammal National Award for Taxonomy
E. K. Janaki Ammal National Award for Taxonomy
Regulations Governing the E. K. Janaki Ammal National Award on Tamxanomy for 2016
Biological diversity refers to the variability in the living organisms and the ecosystems of which they form part. Preservation of biological diversity is vital for maintaining ecological balance and for evolutionary processes. It has direct bearing on food security, agriculture, medicine, industry etc. The advances in biotechnology and development of products based on the use of biological resources are increasingly becoming motivating factor for greater use of biological resources.
Taxonomy is the science of identification, classification and naming of living organisms. Taxonomic work involves study of morphological characteristics and phylogenetic relationship of organisms which is essential for applied biological sciences, such as medicine, agriculture, forestry and fisheries. Development of biotechnologies and their industrial applications depend heavily on taxonomy. Current requirements of taxonomic work and available expertise and studies indicate urgent need for encouraging excellence and for motivating experts to work in hitherto neglected groups of organisms e.g. microbes, lower groups of plants, animals etc. The challenge is quite serious, as while the existing expertise is ageing and retiring, not many young scholars are opting for studies in taxonomy.
In order to encourage work of excellence in taxonomy and also to encourage young students and scholars to work in this field of science, this award, named after the late Prof. E.K. Janaki Ammal was instituted in the year 1999. Late Prof. Janaki Ammal did taxonomic work of outstanding merit and excellence, particularly in the area of cytotaxonomy and has been a source of inspiration to many young scientists.
Initially there was one Award on Taxonomy covering all the three fields’ viz. Botany, Zoology and study of Micro-organisms. It has now been decided to enlarge the scope of the Award and increase the number of Awards to three, one each for excellence in Plant, Animal and Microbial Taxonomy.
The three Awards are known as ‘E.K. Janaki Ammal National Award on Plant Taxonomy’, ‘E.K. Janaki Ammal National Award on Animal Taxonomy’ and ‘E.K. Janaki Ammal National Award on Microbial Taxonomy’.
Conferment of Award
The award will be announced and conferred during last week of March 2016.
Last Date for Recieving Nominations for Award
1st March 2016.
Nature of word
Each award will carry Rs. 1,00,000/- in cash along with a citation, scroll and Medallion. The Awards will be given to the Taxonomists selected by a Selection Committee constituted for this purpose.
Any Indian taxonomist engaged in Taxonomic research work on flora, fauna or microorganisms in the country is eligible for the award. There will be no age limit. The following is a list of illustrative, eligibility criteria for the award:
- Outstanding contribution in the area of taxonomic revision of species/genus/family/order;
- Outstanding original contribution in the area of taxonomic monographic work (assessment of overall aspects of knowledge of species/genus/family/order);
- Ability to recognize new taxa as evident by discovery of new species/genus;
- Outstanding experimental work in areas such as cytotaxonomy, molecular taxonomy, chemotaxonomy etc.
- Research experience in the field of taxonomy in terms of number of years spent in taxonomic research and teaching;`
- Experience in research guidance in taxonomy in terms of number of M.Phil and Ph.D. theses guided;
- Number of research publications, such as original research papers, books and contribution in symposia and workshops at National and International level.
Procedure for Submission of Nominations
- Nominations for the Awards are invited from the University Vice- Chancellors, Heads of Institutions, and from the previous awardees.
- The candidates should apply through the institutions and previous awardees referred to at 6(a) above.
- Nominations received for the Award will be valid for the year for which they have been made. Past nominations will not be carried forward. A person not selected for the Award for a particular year can be re-nominated in future years with an updated CV of the candidate.
- The nominations must be made in the prescribed format (Annex I). The nominations should be sent in a registered sealed cover marked “E.K. Janaki Ammal National Award on Taxonomy”, to Dr. B. K. Sinha, Scientist ‘E’, BSI, HQ, CGO Complex, 3rd MSO Building, Block F, Sector 1,Salt Lake City, Kolkata – 700 064.
- Application, complete in all respects, must be received by the last date for receiving nominations.
National Taxanomy Award Selection Committee
The nominations received will be placed before a Selection Committee constituted as follows for selecting the awardees:
|Director General, CSIR or his nominee, not below the rank of JS||Member|
|Director, Botanical Survey of India||Member|
|Director, Zoological Survey of India||Member|
|Three eminent taxonomists to be nominated by MoEF&CC so as to represent various branches of Taxonomy such as Cytotaxonomy, Chemotaxonomy, Molecular taxonomy etc.||Members|
|Joint Secretary/Adviser||Member – Secretary|
The recommendations of the National Taxonomy Award Committee shall be submitted to the Minister, Environment & Forests for approval.
Criteria for Selection
The Selection Committee would, among other things, keep in view:
- Originality and outstanding nature of the contribution to taxonomy
- Promotion of taxonomic research
- Training to Students and
- Motivation provided by the applicant by way of guidance to scholars for conferment of Ph. D or D. Sc.
Announcement of Award
The award will be announced through Print Media & Website during last week of March. The Government reserves the right to withhold the award in 2016, if it is felt that no meritorious nomination is received. Those who have received this award in the previous years shall not be eligible for consideration again.
Proforma for Nomination for E. K. Janaki Ammal National Award on Taxnomy 2016.
01. Award applied for :
02. Name and address of the nominee :
03. Date and Place of birth :
04. Academic qualifications(Bachelor’s degree onwards with University,
year and subjects) :
05. Field of specialization :
06. Significant contribution :
a) Taxonomic revision b) Monographic work
c) New species/genus discovered
d) Research/teaching experience in taxonomy
e) Details of M.Phil/Ph.D thesis guided in taxonomy
f) Any other details
07. Publications/periodicals etc. wherein the work has been referred to give citation index of the contribution as follows:
08. Enclose a complete list of publications along with the list of Standard Journals in which published.
09. Details of Peer-reviewed Articles/Research Papers.
10. Any additional information of relevance.
(Signature of the nominee)
Remarks of the VC/Head of Institution/Expert recommending the application
(Signature of the recommending authority)