Salim Ali Center for Ornithology and Natural History(SACON)
Sálim Ali Centre for Ornithology and Natural History (SACON), Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu
SACON was set up by the MoEFCC under the Scheme on “Centre of Excellence” during November, 1988 and commenced its functioning from June 1990 in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu. It is stated that based on the recommendations of DoE vide OM no. 54(1)/PFC-II/20119Vol-II) dated 24th July, 2020 a separate budget head under ‘Other Central Expenditure’ has been created for fund support to SACON from 2021-22. Realizing the significance of a holistic approach in avian studies and conservation, the major objectives of SACON have been designed to cover the entire field of natural history focusing on Ornithology.
Objectives of SACON: For conservation of avian biodiversity their habitats and ecosystems.
- SACON’s mission is to “help conserve India’s biodiversity and its sustainable use through research, education, and people’s participation, with birds at the centre stage
- To Design and conduct research in Ornithology covering all aspects of biodiversity and Natural History
- To Develop and conduct regular courses in Ornithology and Natural History for M.Sc., M.Phil. and Ph.D. and also short-term orientation courses in related subjects
- To Create a data bank on Indian Ornithology and Natural history, and
- To Disseminate knowledge relating to Ornithology and Natural History for the benefit of the community
For more details, please visit the website: https://www.sacon.in/